Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Language Barrier



Xuan Hoa, Vietnam - We traveled a few hours north of Ho Chi Min to visit the future site of a community training center that UniReach was partnered in. As we interviewed a couple of member of the community and discussed the impacts a center would have, we were introduced to one of the most fascinating characters encountered in my time in Vietnam, or anywhere for that matter. He was a 92 year old gentle man who had a story to tell. What ensued was the most hilarious interview of my life. Our director would ask a question, which would then be translated by our interpreter. From there the elderly gentleman’s grandson would literally yell the question into his ear. Like a windup toy, once our talent got started I could not stop laughing. He recounted his days during the war when he was driving for the Red Cross and being shot at (by whom I never did figure out). His mind was tack sharp and his whit was delightful. For nearly 15 minutes he acted out his driving skills, being shot at and who knows what else. By the end I was laughing so hard, I have no idea what he was talking about or what the translator was saying. I will always remember that interview. I still don’t know what it was about, but I will always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment